Did you know that Austin Water Utility customers subsidize the cost for new water and wastewater connections for new high-end condos and homes built in Austin?
Austin charges developers just 28% of the cost for new water and wastewater connections, while Austin Utility customers pay the remaining 72% through higher water and wastewater rates.
Other cities in Texas charge developers a much higher percentage of the costs for new water and wastewater connections. Some cities also charge impact fees to developers for new roads and storm water infrastructure required for new development. Austin doesn’t charge impact fees to developers for new roads and storm water infrastructure, so existing residents pay 100% of these coststhrough higher City taxes and fees.
Middle and low-income families in Austin subsidize new high-end condos and homes, even as their incomes are stagnant and the cost of living continues to increase. Austin is becoming less affordable tomiddle and low-income families.
It’s time for developer for pay the full costs for new water and wastewater connections, particularly for high-end condos and homes. It’s time for the high-income families that buy these new high-end condos and homes to pay their fair share of costs for new development.
The City’s Water & Wastewater Commission and Impact Fee Advisory Committee both voted to recommend that the City Council increase the water and wastewater impact fees for new development to the maximum allowable level and eliminate discount zones that allow developers to pay lower impact fees. If implemented, this recommendation will result in developers paying a fairer share of the costs of new water and wastewater connections.
The City Council will consider changes to the Impact Fees at the October 17, 2013, City Council meeting. The Impact Fees are agenda item # 73 and here’s a link to the meeting agenda:
Please urge the City Council to increase the Impact Fees for new water and wastewater connections to the maximum allowable level and eliminate discount zones. Here's a link to send one email to all City Council members:
Mayor Leffingwell 512-974-2250 firstname.lastname@example.org
Mayor Pro Tem Cole 512-974-2266 email@example.com
Council Member Spelman 512-974-2256 firstname.lastname@example.org
Riley 512-974-2260 email@example.com
Council Member Martinez 512-974-2264 firstname.lastname@example.org
Tovo 512-974-2255 email@example.com
Morrison 512-974-2258 firstname.lastname@example.org
Thank you David,
The Joint Subcommittee for Financial Planning for the Austin Water Utility
also recommend maxing out impact fees. That's 3 city committees
Thank you to the ANC for supporting this fair and beneficial ordinance
asking the development community to pay their fair share!
Austin Neighborhood Council has also put forward a resolution here: