The plan incorporates elements of the Imagine Austin Comprehensive Plan by proposing the creation of a connected and protected active transportation network that will provide additional transportation options for Austin residents and visitors. The plan's overarching goals are to significantly increase bicycle use and improve bicycle safety throughout Austin. These two strategies are projected to have positive impacts not just for bicyclists, but for the community at large.These impacts include improved traffic congestion, public health, economic development, affordability, sustainability and quality of life.Previous Boards and Commission Action:
- March 10, 2014, reviewed by the Comprehensive Planning Committee of the Planning Commission.
- April 8, 2014, recommended by the Urban Transportation Commission on a 4/0/0/3 vote with Commissioners Blocker, Lanier and Gilbert absent.
- April 16, 2014, recommended by the Environmental Board on a 7/0/0/0 vote.
- May 19, 2014, recommended by the Land, Facilities, and Programs Committee (Parks and Recreation Board) on a 2/0 vote.
- May 27, 2014, recommended by the Parks and Recreation Board on a 6/0/0/1 vote with Commissioner Almanza absent.
- June 17, 2014, recommended by the Codes and Ordinances Subcommittee (Planning Commission) on a 4/0 vote.
- June 24, 2014, not recommended by the Planning Commission on a 4/1/0/4 vote with Commissioner Roark against; Oliver, Stephens and Nortey absent; and one vacancy.
- October 14, 2014 recommended by the Planning Commission on a 7/0 vote with Commissioners Stevens and Roark absent.